Opening a Business in Wildomar

How to Start a Business

The City of Wildomar (“City”) is not providing legal or tax advice and suggests that you contact your own legal and tax professionals for specific guidance. Also, this list may not be comprehensive and there may be additional permits, licenses, entitlements or other approvals needed to start a business that are not listed here. This guide is intended to help a business owner get started, not to be an all-encompassing list.

  1. Naming Your Business - Under California law, there is no need for a business owner to register a DBA or a fictitious business name so long as the business name includes your last name. This is because under California law, a business name is not a fictitious name if it includes your last name. If you are using your last name in the business name, please SKIP #2 and go directly to #3.
  2. File for a Fictitious Business Name - A Fictitious Business Name shall be filed within 40 days of first transacting business. Once registered, it is effective for 5 years. You will need to publish your new business in an accepted newspaper (they will provide a list to you). Keep the proof that you did this in your files.
  3. Get Your Employer Identification Number (EIN) - Having an EIN allows you to use this identification number on forms rather than using your personal Social Security Number.
  4. Proper Federal*, State and County Certificates/Permits- Make sure you have the proper Federal, State and County certifications for your business/industry if needed. This may include a Seller’s Permit, a Health Permit, etc. Click here for State of California; click here for the County of Riverside. *Most businesses do not need Federal permit(s) unless firearm sales or other protected operations will be part of the business.
  5. City Business Registration/License- You are required to have a Business Registration/License for each City in which you conduct business, but certainly where your “home base” is located. You can usually obtain these Registrations/Licenses via the City’s website. A Registration and a License are technically the same thing to the user; different cities use different names depending on how they set them up.